The OpenStack Foundation announces the availability of travel grants under the OpenStack Travel Support Program. The program’s aim is to facilitate participation of key contributors to the OpenStack Design Summit covering costs for travel and accommodation. The Travel Support Program is based on the promise of Open Design, one of the founding principles upon which the OpenStack project is built.
OpenStack will celebrate it’s third birthday July 19, and we’re celebrating this month! In three short years, Openstack has truly emerged as the center of cloud innovation, with hundreds of companies around the world relying on OpenStack to run their business. OpenStack is maturing, it’s coming of age and new users being announced every week (Fidelity, Comcast, Best Buy, Bloomberg). Over the past three years, we’ve also seen OpenStack grow internationally. There are now over 40 global user groups and more than 10,000 community members across 121 countries. And we’ve recently crossed the 1,000 authors threshold to the code base. This calls for a big toast to the OpenStack community!
Dan Smith wrote a very hacky text “dashboard” that merges the information from Gerrit and Zuul, and provides a periodically-refreshed view of what is going on. The tool is useful to keep close watch of patches, both to know when they’re close to merging, as well as to know early when they’re failing a test. Catching something early and pushing a fix will kill the job currently in progress and start over with the new patch. This is a more efficient use of resources and lowers the total amount of time before Jenkins will vote on the patch in such a case.
The Swift team announced an initiative to introduce erasure codes in OpenStack Swift. This initiative enables deployers to store data with erasure coding instead of or in addition to Swift’s 3-replica model.
David Medberry wrote a nice summary of how to identify core developers for each of the Official OpenStack Programs. This list is maintained on Gerrit for Nova, Glance, Swift, Horizon, Keystone, Cinder, Neutron, Ceilometer, Heat and OpenStack Doc.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Dan Smith: A brief overview of Nova’s new object model (Part 1) and (Part 2)
- By Mirantis: Understanding OpenStack Authentication: Keystone PKI
- By Sandro Mathys: Setting a user password when launching cloud images
- By Julie Pichon: Testing in Horizon | Unit testing for the Openstack Dashboard
- Boston OpenStack Meetup Jul 16, 2013 – Boston Details
- 1st Openstack Athens User Group meeting Jul 17, 2013 – Athens, Greece Details
- Lots of birthday celebrations near you: Blow Out the Candles – OpenStack Turns 3!
- OpenStack Meeting at “One Convergence” Jul 21, 2013 – Hyderabad, India Details
- OSCON 2013 Jul 22 – 26, 2013 – Portland, OR Details
- Gluster Community Workshop @ PDX, Jul 22 – 26, 2013 – Portland, OR Details
- OpenStack on Ales Sep 30 – Oct 01, 2013 – Bend, OR Details
Reports from Previous Events
- OpenStack at FISL 2013 Brasil
- Hong Kong OpenStack 2nd Workshop: Deploy a 3D Virtual World on OpenStack
- 2d Polish OpenStack User Group Meetup
- Ansible playbooks for OpenStack
- Caimito 0.11 – WebDAV frontend for OpenStack Swift Cloud Storage
- New mailing lists in Italian, Spanish, Vietnamese
- Open Mic Spotlight: Joe Topjian
- Open Mic Spotlight: Mike Perez
- Open Mic Spotlight: Aaron Rosen
- Open Mic Spotlight: Joe Gordon
- Open Mic Spotlight: Everett Toews
- Open Mic Spotlight: Doug Hellmann
- Python Exception Chaining
- Save Space: the final frontier – Erasure Codes with OpenStack Swift
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Where is the right place to set the default quota?
- ceilometer and instance snapshots/glance images
- Debugging OpenStack Swift with Eclipse and Pydev
- Cinder custom driver for falconstor
- Terms of support for x-glance-api-copy-from header in Glance API
- creating isolated networks in grizzly with nova-network
- cinder-volume localhost:5672 unreachable
- Build MySQL HA on openstack
- Openstack services cannot talk to RabbitMQ: Connection refused but log says unreachable?
- how to get the details of a hyper-visor in open stack environment via Openstack Java SDK?
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.