Potential Sponsors can read the Sponsorship Prospectus
The OpenStack Networking team is happy to announce that the Quantum project will be changing its name to Neutron. You’ll soon see Neutron in lots of places as we work to implement the name change within OpenStack.
Over the last 3 years, the technical governance of the OpenStack open source project evolved a lot, and most recently last Tuesday with the Technical Committee decided on a model with 13 directly-elected members, which will be put in place at the Fall 2013 elections. This new model is a direct, representative model, where if you recently authored a change for an OpenStack project, you get one vote, and a chance every 6 months to choose new people to represent you. This model is pretty flexible and should allow for further growth of the project. As far as open source projects governance models go, this is as open, meritocratic, transparent and direct as it gets.
- 1 controller node running Nova (including nova-compute) + Quantum + Glance + Keystone services.
- 1 compute node running only the nova-compute service + the Quantum agent.
This tutorial has been tested on Ubuntu. It should be quite easy to adapt to other distros but as usual YMMV.
OpenStack Heat is a (CloudFormation-compatible) template-based system that enables you to specify what should be done, such as performing an action on a number of different servers or spinning up a group of resources (called a stack). The good folks at Mirantis put together a slideshow that explains what it is and gives you an idea of how it works, both now and coming in Havana.
The road to Havana is long, no milestone in the corner yet, but already some enhancements have been brought to the Horizon interface. Take a quick look at the new fancy stuff in this blog post by Sébastien Han!
Ken Pepple posted the full length article along with several clarifications on the architecture of OpenStack Grizzly.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Sylvain Bauza: Puppet as a service in Openstack : how to manage different VMs with same hostname
- By Everett Toews: jclouds Manual Authentication with OpenStack
- By Steve Dake: Turbocharge DevStack with Raid 0 SSDs
- By Giulio Fidente: OpenStack Cinder – Configure multiple backends
- OpenStack DevCamp Essen Jun 21 – 23, 2013 – Essen, Germany Details
- OpenStack June Meetup Jun 22, 2013 – Bangalore, India Details
- OpenStack France Meetup#4 Jun 24, 2013 – Paris, France Details
- Boston Meetup Jun 25, 2013 – Boston Details
- OpenStack Rhône-Alpes Meet-up Jun 27, 2013 – Eybens, France Details
- EuroPython 2013 Jul 01 – 07, 2013 – Firenze, Italy Details
- FISL 14 Jul 03 – 06, 2013 – Details
- PyCon Australia – OpenStack Miniconf Jul 05, 2013 – Hobart, Australia Details
- Deploying a 3D Virtual World on OpenStack Cloud Jul 05, 2013 – Hong Kong Details
- Austin Meetup Jul 11, 2013 – Austin Details
- Boston Meetup Jul 16, 2013 – Boston Details
- OSCON 2013 Jul 22 – 26, 2013 – Portland, OR Details
Reports from Previous Events
- Announcing eDeploy: a new generation tool to manage baremetal deployments and upgrades
- Kwapi: an energy efficiency architecture
- Roadmap for Heat Havana (part 1)
- Interview with Vincent Untz at SUSE
- Building Open Source Clouds for Beginners: Join OpenStack 101 Google+ Hangout on 06-24-2013
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
- OpenStack Community Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Welcome New Developers
- Xavier Queralt, Red Hat
- Yuzlikeev Eduard, Mirantis
- jiataotj, IBM
- Anthony Woods, Internap
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Launching large instance makes all VM’s on compute node basically unresponsive
- Cinder volume stats fails to execute command for status
- How to install openstack from source code
- Are there plans to upgrade the AMQP version?
- How to enable juju environement settings in the dashboard?
- How to create bootable Windows 2012 images for Grizzly?
- wrong password set in api-paste.ini, but still pass the auth
- Why are compute meters not visible?
- how can we use ceilometer alarm
- How to check if ceilometer is collecting data
Love animated GIFs?
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.