The first milestone of the Havana development cycle, “havana-1” is now available for Keystone, Glance, Nova, Horizon, Networking, Cinder, Ceilometer, and Heat. It contains all the new features that have been added since the Grizzly pre-release Feature Freeze in March. Including the oslo libraries, 63 blueprints were implemented and 671 bugs were fixed during this milestone. The next development milestone, havana-2, is scheduled for July 18th. Further details by Julien Danjou for Ceilometer
Lorin Hochstein shared a very detailed story about debugging the network in OpenStack-powered instances. The story starts with a familiar message: I can’t connect to the instance. Hopefully his story will be shared by generations of new OpenStack users and become legend.
It is a common desire to have some storage space associated with an instance running on cloud. It is also a common desire to have access to it be as fast as possible. OpenStack doesn’t provide a way to fine-tune this particular option out of the box. Mirantis engineer Alexey Ovchinnikov discusses how Mirantis implemented just such an extension, what roadblocks have already been encountered, and what problems one may encounter when using it.
Director Rob Hirschfeld shares his thoughts about OpenStack leadership, open source collaboration and community. What are your thoughts on the matter?
The OpenStack Foundation Board of Directors had a telephone meeting on May 30th at 9:00am PDT/1600 UTC. The meeting lasted just about 2 hours, but the Board ran through quite a few updates and short discussions on a number of topics. The board approved and published the minutes for previous meeting on the wiki. Executive director Jonathan Bryce has published a brief recap of May 3oth meeting.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Jay Pipes: Quick Gerrit review reminder on inline comments
- By Sébastien Han: Grizzly Nova: what’s new in the API CLI?
- OpenStack Rocks in Poland Jun 06, 2013 – Szczecin, Poland Details
- OpenStack Meetup Chennai Jun 08, 2013 – Chennai, India Details
- Cloud Expo East 2013 Jun 10 – 13, 2013 – New York City, NY Details
- OpenStack meeting in Munich Jun 11, 2013 – Munich, Germany Details
- DatacenterDynamics Converged Jun 11, 2013 – Paris, France Details
- GigaOM Structure Jun 19 – 20, 2013 – San Francisco, CA Details
- Openstack a mezza scala! Jun 20, 2013 – Milano, Italy Details
- OpenStack DevCamp Essen Jun 21 – 23, 2013 – Essen, Germany Details
- PyCon Australia – OpenStack Miniconf Jul 05, 2013 – Hobart, Australia Details
- OSCON 2013 Jul 22 – 26, 2013 – Portland, OR Details
Reports from Previous Events
- Stacker Voices: Russell Bryant, Red Hat
- Mark McLoughlin‘s recap of April 14th OpenStack Foundation Board Meeting
- OpenStack Project Meeting:Summary and full logs
Welcome New Developers
- Zhou Xing, IBM
- Jan Provaznik, Redhat
- Yang Lei, IBM
- Simon Pasquier, None
- Chang Bo Guo, IBM
- Roman Bogorodskiy, Mirantis
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- What’s the recommended way to snapshot images for cloud-init?
- Are there plans (or a specific timeframe) to OAuth/OpenID Connect support in OpenStack APIs?
- How to setup security groups for IPv6 with nova-network?
- How does quantum (network-type: vlan) configure ESX-host VMs?
- Migrating Images from Diablo to Folsom.
- Can Openstack control VM’s network bandwidth right now?
- Is it possible to access VMs in OpenStack cloud with VMware vSphere?
- Why do ebtables rules with share_dhcp_address block arp traffic?
- Is it possibile to create a quantum network with single nic card?
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.