It’s official: we’re going to Hong Kong on Nov 5-8. The Summit will take place at Asia World Expo, a large convention center near the airport with a connecting Marriott hotel. The Airport Express train stops within Asia World Expo, making it convenient to access from most parts of the city. Please check the VISA information page and FAQ for more information about your travel plans. We encourage you to book early!
OpenStack Foundation board member Rob Hirschfeld summarizes the increasing level of investment in OpenStack-powered private cloud solutions (Dell is hiring!). Among the things highlighted, the recent announcements are about increasing investment where Dell is already successful plus accelerating with new features (such as leadership in HyperV enablement).
The need for an OpenStack Messaging Service was recognized by the San Diego Grizzly Summit, and in an unconference track design meeting on the last day, a crowd of interested people met, talked out some requirements, and from that the OpenStack Message Bus project was born. It was codenamed “Marconi”, in honor of Guglielmo Marconi, the inventor of wireless messaging. The Marconi team collaborates on Launchpad.
For too long, the state of the OpenStack Chef world had been one of duplicative effort, endless forks of Chef cookbooks, and little integration with how many of the OpenStack projects choose to control source code and integration testing. Recently, however, the Chef + OpenStack community has been getting its proverbial act together. Folks from lots of companies have come together and pushed to align efforts to produce a set of well-documented, flexible, but focused Chef cookbooks that install and configure OpenStack services. StackForge now hosting a set of Chef cookbooks for OpenStack.
Loïc Dachary summarizes how the French non-profit organization April migrated the workload of a five years old hardware to OpenStack. Instead of migrating each of the fourteen vservers on a Debian GNU/Linux lenny running a 2.6.26-2-vserver-686-bigmem linux individually to an OpenStack instance, it was decided that the vserver host would be copied over to an OpenStack instance.
In order to support our growing international communities the OpenStack Infrastructure and the Community team worked to allow groups to create mailing lists in languages other than English. People interested in discussions in Italian and Vietnamese can join the lists already. A request for a list to discuss in Spanish is pending review and other can be created if necessary following the instructions.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Sébastien Han: Nova: archive deleted rows
- By eNovance: The absolute minimum to get you started with Vagrant
- By eNovance: How to create specific Nova flavors for tenants
- By Russell Bryant: Availability Zones and Host Aggregates in OpenStack Compute (Nova)
- By Cloudscaling Engineering: Stacker Voices: Mark McLoughlin, Red Hat
- OpenStack India Meetup May 26, 2013 – Bangalore, India at Anuta Network Details
- OpenStack Israel May 27, 2013 – Tel-Aviv, Israel Details
- Australian OpenStack User Group tri-city Meetup May 27, 2013 – Australia Details
- OpenStack at CeBit Australia May 28 – 30, 2013 – Sidney, Australia Booth in Hall 4
- OpenStack CEE Day May 29, 2013 – Budapest, Hungary Details
- 2013 Beijing Open Source Convention May 29, 2013 – Beijing, China Program
- Building an OpenStack Cloud May 30, 2013 – Chicago, IL Details
- OpenStack Rocks in Poland Jun 06, 2013 – Szczecin, Poland Details
- Cloud Expo East 2013 Jun 10 – 13, 2013 – New York City, NY Details
- OpenStack meeting in Munich Jun 11, 2013 – Munich, Germany Details
- DatacenterDynamics Converged Jun 11, 2013 – Paris, France Details
- GigaOM Structure Jun 19 – 20, 2013 – San Francisco, CA Details
- Openstack a mezza scala! Jun 20, 2013 – Milano, Italy Details
- OpenStack DevCamp Essen Jun 21 – 23, 2013 – Essen, Germany Details
- PyCon Australia – OpenStack Miniconf Jul 05, 2013 – Hobart, Australia Details
- Interview with John Griffith at SolidFire
- Interview with Anne Gentle, OpenStack Technical Writer
- OpenStack Board of Directors Talks: Episode 10 with Joseph George, Director of Product Strategy of Dell’s Revolutionary Solutions Team
- OpenStack Project Meeting:Summary and full logs.
Welcome New Developers
- Kanzhe Jiang, Big Switch
- Marharyta Kislinska
- Li Yingjun
- Satyanarayana Patibandla, TCS
- Ryan Moore, HP
- Emanuele Rocca, VU University Amsterdam
- Aditi Raveesh, Rackspace
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How to add data to tables in horizon Dashboard
- Where should I install Dashboard on a 3 nodes architecture?
- Migrating from nova-network to quantum
- How to setup security groups for IPv6 with nova-network?
- Recommended version of libvirt
- Snapshotting images and cloud-init
- Are there any tuning methods in Openstack
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.