In response to growing demand for deploying and running Windows based applications on OpenStack cloud, the team at Mirantis started Murano: a native OpenStack component that enables fast provisioning and operation of Windows Environments on demand.
Sneaking a peek at the numbers for documentation along with the code should show us pointers about docs keeping up with code. Anne Gentle dives into the documentation with data and insights.
The next OpenStack summit will happen in Hong Kong. That creates a pretty challenging naming problem, since there is no word starting with “i’ in classic transliteration of Chinese words. So the Technical Committee is willing to bend the rules a little to extend the range of candidates… Feel free to add suggestions to the list on the wiki.
Cloudscaling Engineering talked with Monty Taylor of HP (reaching rockstar status also with a wired.com profile this week) at the OpenStack Summit in Portland. Monty leads the CI (continuous innovation) project for OpenStack. In that role, he and his group have built testing systems that have made it possible for the OpenStack project to scale from a few dozen contributors for the Bexar release to more than 700 developers now pushing hundreds of patches daily to OpenStack. Watch the video on YouTube.
Timothy Daly at Yahoo! added metrics and tracing for OpenStack and released tomograph: a tool to see what and how OpenStack is doing behind the curtains.
We’ve released the complete documentation for OpenStack Insights, with binaries and source code downloadable from Sourceforge while the OpenStack Dash tools are the vanilla MetricsGrimoire set hosted on github. The code is free as in freedom so you’re welcome to play with it.
Testing your python code can get complex and with pylint, you will see false positives, meaning it will complain some lines as bugs that are actually correct. lintstack is designed to address this problem: reduce false positives from pylint as much as possible without sacrificing accuracy. Yun Mao describes how lintstack works.
Report from Previous Events
- By Alessio Ababilov: OpenStack Summit April 2013: a First Experience
- By Amar Kapadia: Coming of Age of Swift .
Tips and Tricks
- By Adam Young: Kerberizing PostgreSQL with FreeIPA for Keystone
- By Giulio Fidente: OpenStack Cinder – Add more volume nodes
- By Flavio Percoco: Dynamic TTL Collection in Mongodb for Marconi
OpenStack In The Wild
A new section of the weekly newsletter dedicated to users of OpenStack. If you want to showcase how OpenStack helps you (or you know somebody that uses OpenStack) please let us know: email, twitter, reddit or avian carrier will do). Meanwhile watch the keynotes from Portland Summit:
- Bloomberg User Spotlight
- Keynote: Comcast User Spotlight
- Keynote: Best Buy User Spotlight
- Keynote: Clouds in High Energy Physics
- Keynote: OpenStack at the National Security Agency (NSA)
- OpenStack meeting in Cologne May 04, 2013 – Cologne, Germany Details
- OpenStack Atlanta Meetup May 16, 2013 – Atlanta, USA Details
- OpenStack Dublin Meetup May 22, 2013 – Dublin, Ireland Details
- OpenStack DACH Day May 24, 2013 – Berlin Fairgrounds Details
- OpenStack India Meetup May 26, 2013 – Bangalore, India at Anuta Network Details
- OpenStack Israel May 27, 2013 – Tel-Aviv, Israel Details
- OpenStack CEE Day May 29, 2013 – Budapest Details
- Building an OpenStack Cloud May 30, 2013 – Chicago, IL Details
- OpenStack meeting in Munich Jun 11, 2013 – Munich, Germany Details
- GigaOM Structure Jun 19 – 20, 2013 – San Francisco, CA Details
- OSCON 2013 Jul 22 – 26, 2013 – Portland, OR Details
- A brief introduction to Keystone and PKI Tokens
- Glance wants to go public: the future of OpenStack Image Service
- OpenStack Common Vulnerability Database
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
- HELP: please participate to the thread that Gabriel started on API version discovery
Welcome New Developers
- Shawn Hartsock, VMwware
- David Martin, redbrick health
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- openstack tries to use cache=none when using glusterfs, when it should be writethrough
- Ceilometer BinApiTestCase fails with 503 error connecting to localhost
- Why do I get “Could not find token” error using Swift with s3 API?
- What p2v (physical to Virtual) capabilities does OpenStack have?
- Why isn’t OpenStack Swift sending metrics to Statsd server?
- “Package ‘openstack-keystone’ isn’t signed with proper key” installing OpenStack on CentOS 6.4
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.