Highlights of the week
Best way to brag about contributing to Grizzly?
Contributors to OpenStack Folsom received a nice patch to stick on something you carry every day like a backpack or your favorite sweater. Would you like to get a patch for Grizzly, too? Would you rather get something else to brag about your ‘Contributor’ status? Let us know your preferences.
There is a new tool that installs Openstack either on bare metal or Vms: it can be found on github under the fedora-openstack organization. Packstack is currently in its first ages and still under heavy development but, it’s already capable of installing, customize some parameters and distribute most of the Openstack modules on a single server or several as well. It currently supports Red Hat based distros but there’s space for more.
Anita Kuno, one of our awesome intern of OPW program, tells the tales common to new developers learning about OpenStack developer’s community. In this new installation she tells us how she had to run some tests in /opt/stack/nova and every command failed. Why? She didn’t know. But now she does.
There have been many discussions in the cloud landscape comparing VMware and OpenStack. In fact, it’s one of the most popular topics among those thinking about using OpenStack. Mirantis’ Lee Xie judged the two in the following categories: design, features, use cases, and value. The categories are scored on a 10-point scale and then tallied to determine the winner.
Victoria Martínez de la Cruz, another awesome intern of OPW program, uses pictures and words to explain in a blog post how OpenStack works.
Tips and Tricks
- By Adam Young: Using Puppet to setup PostgreSQL for Keystone on Fedora
- By Victoria Martínez de la Cruz: TryStack: OpenStack for fun and profit
- OpenStack Mini-Conf at gnuNify Feb 15, 2013 – Pune, India Details
- Second Swiss OpenStack User Group Meeting Feb 19, 2013 – Zurich, Switzerland Details
- SCALE 11x Feb 22 – 24, 2013 – Los Angeles, CA Details
- Pulse Open Cloud Summit Mar 03, 2013 – MGM Grand in Las Vegas, NV Details
- Pulse 2013 Mar 04 – 06, 2013 – Las Vegas, NV Details
- OpenStack Day Tokyo 2013 Mar 12, 2013 – Tokyo, Japan Details
- OpenStack Swift API Sprint at PyCon 2013 Mar 18, 2013 – Santa Clara, CA Details
- OpenStack Developers Meetup Mar 21, 2013 – Atlanta, GA Details
- 1st OpenStack User Group Nordics meetup Apr 03, 2013 – Kista, Sweden Details
- OpenStack Summit April 2013 Apr 15 – 18, 2013 – Portland, OR Details
- OpenStack Israel May 27, 2013 – Tel-Aviv, Israel Coming Soon
Reports From Past Events
- Q&A with Lucas Welch Senior Communications Manager at Opscode: What’s cooking at Opscode?Consumerization of IT or Death: OpenStack and Agile IT Operations
- Altai v1.1.0 with LDAP/AD support
- OpenStack Board of Directors Talks: Episode 7 with Joshua McKenty, co-Founder and CTO of Piston Cloud Computing
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Welcome New Contributors
Celebrating the first patches submitted this week by:
- Kurt Martin, HP
- Svetlana Shturm, Mirantis
- Mitsuhiko Yamazaki, NEC
- Andrea Frittoli, HP
- James Morgan, Rackspace
- Jesse Pretorius
- Nathan Reller, JHU APL
- Rami Vaknin, Redhat
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.