Highlights of the week
It’s official – the Spring 2013 OpenStack Summit will be held in Portland, April 15-18, at the Oregon Convention Center.
If you’d like to submit a presentation, panel or workshop, the call for speakers is now open and will close February 15.
In 3 weeks, free and open source software developers will converge to Brussels for 2+ days of talks, discussions and beer. FOSDEM is still the largest gathering for our community in Europe, and it will be a pleasure to meet again with longtime friends. Note that FOSDEM attendance is free as in beer, and requires no registration. OpenStack will be present with a number of talks in the Cloud devroom in the Chavanne auditorium on Sunday, February 3rd.
On the other side of the world, OpenStack is a protagonist at linux.conf.au 2013 in Australia. Michael Still, Director of LinuxConf Australia, highlights in his blog post the not-to-be-missed talks about OpenStack and the closely-related ones. Spoiler alert: I counted 28 (twentyeight) talks, from Monday to Friday!
Jim Curry talks about OpenStack accomplishments, areas worth focusing on for improving, the importance of the ecosystem and more. As OpenStack Elections near, these interviews of current members of OpenStack Foundation’s Board by Rafael Knuth are nice to read.
Http OpenStack Foundation 2012 End-of-Year UpdateJanuary/001301.html
Alan Clark, Board Chair, and Jonathan Bryce, Executive Director, sent a summary of 2012 accomplishments and the budget for 2012-2013.
Lots of good progress to bring OpenStack to Hyper-V and Windows. After the Nova Hyper-V driver, Cinder Windows Storage driver and Cloud-Init for Windows guests Cloudbase Solutions just released a Quantum plugin for Hyper-V 2008 R2 and 2012.
Tips and tricks
- By Zmanda: Backward Compatible Keystone-based OpenStack Swift
- By Sébastien Han: Some tips for smooth maintenance in OpenStack
- OpenStack Users January 2013 meetup Jan 19, 2013 – Bangalore, India Details
- Openstack Developers Meetup Jan 20, 2013 – Raanana, Israel Details
- Chef for OpenStack Hack Day Jan 22, 2013 – Boston, MA Details
- oVirt Workshop Jan 22 – 24, 2013 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- OpenStack Mini-Conf at Linux Conf Australia Jan 29, 2013 – Canberra, Australia Details
- FOSDEM’13 Feb 02 – 03, 2013 – Bruxelles, Belgium Cloud track
- OpenStack Mini-Conf at gnuNify Feb 15, 2013 – Pune, India Details
- Second Swiss OpenStack User Group Meeting Feb 19, 2013 – Zurich, Switzerland Details
- OpenStack Israel May 27, 2013 – Tel-Aviv, Israel Coming Soon
Report from previous events
- Grizzly-2 development milestone available (Keystone, Glance, Nova, Horizon, Quantum, Cinder)
- Four Weeks, Four Webinars: Dive Deeply into Cloud Storage with Ceph and OpenStack
- OpenStack Ruby (and RoR) bindings implemented on top of ActiveResource
- Discussion about Developing with Scala/Java on OpenStack Swift
- New regular meeting for Swift
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
- OpenStack Technical Committee report: Distro & Python 2.6/3.x support policy and Update on the “Future of Incubation / core” joint committee Summary and full logs
Welcome new contributors
Celebrating the first patches submitted this week by:
- Yuyue Hill
- Kurt Taylor, IBM
- Flaper Fesp
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.