As we announced at the October 2012 Summit, we will be holding the October 2013 Summit outside of the U.S. for the first time, either in Europe or Asia.
The OpenStack Foundation seeks site proposals for the October 2013 Summit. The deadline to submit is January 25th, 2013.
Following the announcement in October, we were contacted by officials from the Paris region, who have been extremely helpful in providing guidance and are making a strong case for holding the event in the region.
We would love to hear from anyone else who has a strong interest in bringing this important event to their region, whether from a government economic development office, or a private company with significant resources in the region. Open source in general, and OpenStack in particular, are powerful forces for economic development and job creation, with hundreds of job openings related to OpenStack right now, and start ups getting funded on a regular basis.
Keys to include in any proposal: 1) Venue options that can accomodate our requirements (see below), 2) Any potential economic help to offset event production costs 3) Identify local sponsors that are likely to bring additional resources as we get close to the event 4) Anything and everything that’s unique about your city or region, making it the perfect fit for our community.
- 4 day event (Monday-Thursday)
- Dates: First choice is October 14 – 17, second choice is October 21-24 (we’ll also need access to the venue a few days before and after the event for load in/out)
- Expected Attendance: 1500-2000
- Network Connectivity: Access to reliable Internet connectivity is required. If infrastructure is prepared for high speed, upgrade can be accomplished. Desired speed is 50Mb down, 5Mb up.
- Food & Beverage: Need to be able to serve breakfast & lunch for 1500 – 2000 people.
Space & Room Requirements:
- City Preference: Near a major international airport with direct flights from major hubs.
- General Session: One room to seat 2000 theater style with space for stage with rear projection
- Breakout Sessions | Four rooms: Each rooms should seat 250 theater style with room for smaller stage and screen (no rear projection)
- Design Summit | Five rooms (can be separated from the rest of the space): Each room should seat 100-150 semi-circle theater style, square rooms are better, will have screens and projector but no stage
- Developer’s Lounge: Desired size is 2,000 sq. ft. to 2,500 sq. ft space, approximately 185m2 to 235m2 to accommodate lounge area (Cushioned Chairs, Couches, etc.)
- Dining Area: Should seat 750 round tables of 10, with buffet and refreshment space
- Sponsorship Area: Desired size is 10,000sq feet, approximately 930m2 to accommodate. The dining and sponsorship areas can be in the same space.
- Special Event Room: Should fit 30-40 people classroom-style with a projector
- 8-10 Meeting Rooms: Should fit 10-12 people in a boardroom-style setting
Please send proposals to email@example.com . The deadline is January 25th, 2013.
COO, OpenStack Foundation