Highlights of the weeks
There’s enough going on in the OpenStack ecosystem that you can pretty much find a comfortable niche drilling down on anything from hypervisor compatibility to driver support to who’s in the foundation. Mirantis’ David M. Fishman takes a step back and highlights recent conversations about OpenStack.
With a flurry of applications, we had a difficult decision in front of us, deciding who would be our newest mentored contributors through the GNOME Outreach Program for Women. All the applicants were enthusiastic and personable, knowledgeable and technical. We’re pleased to announce that the decisions have been made and these three are going to work on OpenStack full-time from January to March. Please welcome Laura, Anita and Victoria to the OpenStack community.
There’s a tremendous amount of talk about the shift in the networking business from hardware-bound networking to Software Defined Network. Mirantis’ Greg Elkinbard gives an overview of SDN in OpenStack world.
OpenStack Board of Directors Talks: Episode 1 with Rob Hirschfeld, Principal Cloud Architect at Dell
Learn firsthand about OpenStack, its challenges and opportunities, market adoption and Dell’s engagement in the community. Rafael Knuth’s goal is to interview all 24 members of the OpenStack board, and will post these talks sequentially at Dell TechCenter.
Tips and tricks
- By Adam Young: Reviewing Code
- By Adam Young: Keystone and Eclipse PyDev
- By Adam Young: What changed in that latest patch?
- By Sébastien Han: Cleanup keystone tokens
- By Alessandro Pilotti: Cinder-Volume on Windows Storage Server 2012
- By Hui Cheng: How To Use Hadoop Image In Openstack Cloud
- By Sébastien Han: OpenStack: perform consistent snapshots
- By Sébastien Han: Openstack and rsyslog
- By Alessandro Pilotti: Cloud-Init for Windows instances
- By Mirantis: Using an orchestrator to improve Puppet-driven deployment of OpenStack
- India OpenStack Day Dec 15, 2012 – Bangalore, India Details
- OpenStack China Tour: Wuhan Dec 22, 2012 – Wuhan, China Details
- My (Very) Minor Contribution to OpenStack Bug Squashing Day
- Image Building Service Demo
- RabbitMQ in Nova 
- Altai v1.0.2 is out and What’s New in Altai 1.0.2 from Maintainer’s Point of View
- Welcome Claire and Jim
- OpenStack Nova 2012.2.2 released
- Report from past events:
- OpenStack in action 3! The Open Revolution / Paris, November 29th, 2012
- 1st Swiss OpenStack User Group
- 1st Minnesota Meeting: OpenStack, Community, and You
- 37th Open Technet Korea Dope’n'stack cloud antehm
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Welcome new contributors
Celebrating the first patches submitted this week by:
- Pavel Kravchenko and Alexey Roytman, IBM
- Boris Pavlovic
- Cian O’Driscoll, HP
- Mana Kaneko
- Andrew Glen-Young, Canonical
- Yufang Zhang
- Qiang Guan, Netease
- Rohan Rhishikesh Kanade, NTT Data
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.