Many people have asked for more insight into the developer activities for OpenStack as the large number of code changes and proposals make it difficult to monitor everything happening. In hopes of exposing more of the developer activities, I plan to post a weekly or biweekly blog post on the latest development activities. If you have any ideas for this blog post, please email me at [email protected]. I am always ready to listen to the community for new ideas.
- Cactus Release – https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg01820.html
- OpenStack Design Summit Registration – CLOSED (SOLD OUT)
Developer Mailing List (archive: https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/)
This is select list of topics discussed this week in the developer mailing list and is not a complete list. Please visit the archive to see all the topics.
- NaaS proposal suggestion – Rick Clark suggests three options for the various NaaS proposals being submitted: 1) NaaS should be optional 2) all communication should be via API 3) NaaS should be generic enough to be consumed. Troy Toman and Erik Carline agreed with these ideas.
- Enhancements to Glance in Diablo? Input Welcomed – Jay Pipes offers some ideas for the Glance project improvements in Diablo. Several developers offered their ideas; see https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg01773.html for complete details.
- Distributed and Heterogeneous Schedulers – Brian Schott asks for advice about how to implement the architecture-aware scheduler for Diablo (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/schedule-instances-on-heterogeneous-architectures). Several developers offered their ideas; see https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg01770.html
- Moving Code Hosting to GitHub – Jay Pipes offered a proposal to move the code into GitHub instead of the current Launchpad system. Read the large community response at https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg01741.html.
- Number of OpenStack Developers on Contributors List – 175 (+10 for week)
- Final Cactus Release Status – Blueprints (http://wiki.openstack.org/releasestatus/)
- Essential – 5 Design Approved; 5 Implemented
- High – 12 Blueprints; 9 Implemented – 3 Deferred
- Medium – 20 Blueprints; 17 Implemented – 3 Deferred
- Low – 15 Blueprints; 8 Implemented – 7 Deferred
For the latest on development activities on OpenStack please check these sites for more details:
- OpenStack Wiki Home Page – http://wiki.openstack.org/StartingPage
- How to Become a Developer on OpenStack – http://wiki.openstack.org/HowToContribute
- Diablo Release Schedule – http://wiki.openstack.org/DiabloReleaseSchedule
- Developer Mailing List – https://launchpad.net/~openstack
- IRC Discussions – #openstack on freenode