Many people have asked for more insight into the developer activities for OpenStack as the large number of code changes and proposals make it difficult to monitor everything happening. In hopes of exposing more of the developer activities, I plan to post a weekly or biweekly blog post on the latest development activities. If you have any ideas for this blog post, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I am always ready to listen to the community for new ideas.
• Nova 2011.1.1 release candidate available for testing - http://nova.openstack.org/tarballs/nova-2011.1.1~bzr653.tar.gz
Developer Mailing List (archive: https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/)
• Announcing the OpenStack Dashboard – Devin Carlen announced the availability of the OpenStack Dashboard based on the NASA Nebula Dashboard. Code links at https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg01069.html.
• Availability of RHEL build of Bexar release of OpenStack Nova – Grid Dynamics announced the availability of OpenStack Nova RHEL 6.0 build. The instructions to install on run on their build at http://wiki.openstack.org/NovaInstall/RHEL6Notes.
• Working on fixing code after a review? Please mark merge proposal Work in Progress – Jay Pipes commented on the backlog of code waiting for review at https://code.launchpad.net/nova/+activereviews. Jay suggests several steps for developers whose code has been reviewed with suggested code fixes. Ewan Mellor suggested that a new Wiki page be created with all the information for developers on “How Peer Reviews Work”.
• Should the OpenStack API re-use the EC2 credentials? – Justin Santa Barbara submitted a new blueprint, https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/authentication-consistency, to handle the authentication issues that arose between how OpenStack API and EC2 worked. More than 20 responses on this topic were posted so see https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg00917.html for more information.
• Decoupling of Network and Compute Services for the new Network Service design – Ryu Ishimoto proposes a possible solution to make NOVA no longer directly dependent on the network services to allow for future “pluggable” options. More than 20 responses on this topic as well – see https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg00908.html for more information.
- Number of OpenStack Developers on Contributors List – 151
- Cactus Release Status – Blueprints (http://wiki.openstack.org/releasestatus/)
- Essential – 5 Design Approved; 1 Implemented – 1 Needs Code Review – 1 Beta Available
- High – 11 Blueprints; 2 Drafting
- Medium – 22 Blueprints; 3 Needs Code Review; 1 Blocked
- Low – 16 Blueprints; 2 Needs Code Review; 4 Implemented
For the latest on development activities on OpenStack please check these sites for more details:
- OpenStack Wiki Home Page – http://wiki.openstack.org/StartingPage
- How to Become a Developer on OpenStack – http://wiki.openstack.org/HowToContribute
- Cactus Release Schedule – http://wiki.openstack.org/CactusReleaseSchedule
- Developer Mailing List – https://launchpad.net/~openstack
- IRC Discussions – #openstack on freenode