Many people have asked for more insight into the developer activities for OpenStack as the large number of code changes and proposals make it difficult to monitor everything happening. In hopes of exposing more of the developer activities, I plan to post a weekly or biweekly blog post on the latest development activities. If you have any ideas for this blog post, please email me at email@example.com. I am always ready to listen to the community for new ideas.
- Feature Freeze for Bexar on January 13th – http://fnords.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/openstack-bexar-featurefreeze-report/
Developer Mailing List (archive: https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/)
- Feature Freeze Branches Needing Review – Thierry presented a list of branches needing review in priority order by project at https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg00269.html. Nova had 14 branches for review; Glance had 1 branch; Swift had 1 branch. A discussion about the process to review branches by developers across projects is planned to find a better way to reduce the high number of un-reviewed branches in Nova for future releases.
- Lazy Import of Modules – Ewan Mellor opened an issue about creating a standard methodology for loading modules on demand to eliminate unnecessary dependencies for un-needed modules. Responses from Jay Pipes, Vishvananda Ishaya, Devin Carlen, and Andy Smith discussed several solutions but it appears that the idea from Andy Smith will move forward at this time (see https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg00281.html)
- Nova Translators – Jay Pipes announced that Monty Taylor and himself have completed the support for i18n in Nova and language translation has begun for NOVA into Austrian, Chinese (Simplified), Danish, Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Ukranian. If you are interested in assisting with another language please go to https://translations.launchpad.net/nova/trunk/+pots/nova.
- Other Languages underway include Brazilian Portuguese
- Number of OpenStack Developers on Contributors List – 119
- Bexar Release Status – Blueprints (http://wiki.openstack.org/releasestatus/)
- Essential – 3 Design Approved; 3 Implemented
- High – 15 Blueprints; 1 Pending Approval (Get OpenStack AP to Feature Parity with RS 1.01 API) & 1 Needs Code Review (XenServer Snapshots)
- Medium – 15 Blueprints; 1 Pending Approval (XenServer Guest Requirements) [Implementation Deferred] & 2 New & 4 Needs Code Review (S3 Backend for Glance, Live Migration of Running Cloud Servers, IPv6 Support, XenServer Root/Admin Password Reset)
For the latest on development activities on OpenStack please check these sites for more details:
- OpenStack Wiki Home Page – http://wiki.openstack.org/StartingPage
- How to Become a Developer on OpenStack – http://wiki.openstack.org/HowToContribute
- Bexar Release Schedule – http://wiki.openstack.org/BexarReleaseSchedule
- Developer Mailing List – https://launchpad.net/~openstack
- IRC Discussions – #openstack on freenode